Adjusted Logo1

Russia Notes Non-Stop Offensive on Front Line, Ukraine Military Points to Own Successes

Russia Notes Non-Stop Offensive on Front Line, Ukraine Military Points to Own Successes
1 (1)

Aug 30 (AfrikTimes) – Russian forces are waging a non-stop offensive along almost the entire front line in Ukraine and have the “strategic initiative”, the chief of Russia’s general staff said on Saturday.

“The combined group of troops continues a non-stop offensive along almost the entire front line,” General Valery Gerasimov told his deputies in an address published by the Russian Defence Ministry on Saturday.

Top U.S. General Calls Russia, Ukraine Amid Reported Moscow Troop Buildup -  The Moscow TimesChief of the General Staff of Russian Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov chairs a meeting with senior military officials at an unknown location, in this still image from video released August 30, 2025. Russian Defence Ministry.

“At present, the strategic initiative lies entirely with Russian forces.”

But Ukrainian military spokesperson Viktor Trehubov said Kyiv’s forces had scored front-line successes, keeping Russian troops from seizing targets in Donetsk region and halting further advances into Dnipropetrovsk region. In one area, he said, Kyiv’s troops had surrounded Russian units.

AfrikTimes was unable to independently verify battlefield accounts from either side.

Russia has stepped up airstrikes on Ukrainian towns and cities far behind the front lines this summer and has continued a grinding offensive across much of the east, trying to gain more territory in its 3½-year-old military operation in Ukraine. Russian attacks on Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, on Thursday killed 25 people, Ukrainian officials said.

The strikes took place less than two weeks after U.S. President Donald Trump hosted Russian President Vladimir Putin at a summit in Alaska, a meeting that Washington had hoped would advance his efforts to end the conflict.

Analysis: Trump, Putin: a scrutinized relationship back in spotlight - Los  Angeles TimesUS President Donald Trump said a ceasefire deal between Russia and Ukraine was moving closer after he met with Russian President Vladimir Putin on August 15 in Alaska. At the time, Trump noted that “Putin would like to meet as soon as possible” and added that the situation in Ukraine “could be solved very soon.”

Trehubov, spokesperson for Ukraine’s Dnipro group of forces, said Russia had deployed substantial troop contingents in Donetsk region but had failed to capture major objectives, including the cities of Pokrovsk, Toretsk, and Chasiv Yar.

“Despite its aggressive actions, despite success at some points in pressuring Ukrainian positions, Russia has scored no quick victories,” he told national television. Russian troops, he said, had been surrounded near Dobropillya, north of Pokrovsk. And Ukrainian forces had recaptured the village of Myrne, near Kupiansk further north — another area of recent heavy Russian activity.

RUSSIAN MILITARY SAYS NEW VILLAGE CAPTURED

Russia’s Defence Ministry on Saturday announced the capture of the village of Komyshuvakha in the centre of Donetsk region. But Ukraine’s military made no acknowledgement that the village had changed hands, saying that it was one of several localities where Kyiv’s forces had countered Russian attacks.

Moscow denies targeting civilians. Ukrainian officials say scores of civilians have been killed in Russian strikes on densely populated areas in recent months, and thousands since the start of the war.

Russian bomb attacks on Ukraine's Kharkiv leave at least 8 dead, more than  100 injured | CNNAn emergency worker in Kharkiv surveys a burning building. Ukrainian authorities said 82 apartment buildings were damaged when the city was struck with five guided aerial bombs on Friday.  Vitalii Hnidyi/Reuters

Gerasimov said Russia had carried out 76 targeted strikes on Ukrainian military-industrial facilities this spring and summer, with a focus on destroying sites where long-range missile systems and drones are produced. He claimed Moscow now controls 99.7% of Ukraine’s Luhansk region, 79% of Donetsk, 74% of Zaporizhzhia, and 76% of Kherson.

Since March, Russia has captured more than 3,500 square km (1,351 square miles) of Ukrainian territory and taken control of 149 villages, he said. Russian forces this month have begun pressing into Ukraine’s southeastern Dnipropetrovsk region, open-source maps show. Gerasimov said seven villages in the region were now under Russian control. Ukraine’s military, however, says its forces had constrained Russian movements in the area.

Reporting by AfrikTimes’ Adebukola Adeagbo and Reuters’ Lucy Papachristou; Additional reporting by Anastasiia Malenko.

T3 300x60
Adebukola Samuel Adeagbo is a dedicated news reporter with AfrikTimes, known for his versatility in various news reporting and investigative journalism.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *