Victims abducted during the recent May 15 attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have appealed to relevant stakeholders in the country to come to their aid.
On Friday, May 15, AfrikTimes reported that unknown gunmen invaded schools in Oriire Local Government Area and reportedly abducted a principal, two vice principals, three teachers, and several pupils. During the attack, two persons, including the vice headmaster, Mr Adesiyan Joel, and a commercial motorcycle rider, were killed.
The affected schools include Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, as well as Community Grammar School and L.A. Primary School in Esinele.
In one of the videos obtained by AfrikTimes on Sunday, May 17, the principal of one of the affected schools, identified as Mrs Alamu F.R., was seen appealing to the Federal Government, Oyo State Government, and the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) to intervene and ensure their safe rescue through peaceful means to prevent further loss of lives.
She explained that the victims, including staff members and pupils, were abducted during the Friday attack and taken into a forest.
From the footage, AfrikTimes observed that the abducted victims appeared to be in a thick forest believed to be within the National Park area, where the Oyo State Government earlier disclosed that the victims and abductors were trapped.
“I am Mrs Alamu F.R. I am the principal of Community High School, Esiele, in Oriire Local Government of Oyo State.
“On Friday, around 9:30, we were attacked by a certain group of people and a good number of us were abducted, including staff and students. We have been here since Friday.
“I am making this video to ask for help from everyone, starting from the Federal Government of Nigeria, the Oyo State Government led by Engineer Seyi Makinde, the Christian Association of Nigeria, and all well-meaning Nigerians, that they should come to our aid and settle this issue peacefully so that our lives will not be lost. Thank you very much,” she said.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka, the Oyo State Police Command said it had received the viral video and commenced a comprehensive forensic examination to determine its authenticity and possible relevance to the ongoing rescue operation.
“The Oyo State Police Command has received the video currently circulating across various media platforms in relation to the recent abduction incident within the state. Consequently, the footage is presently undergoing comprehensive forensic examination to determine its authenticity and further aid ongoing investigations, rescue operations, as well as the identification and arrest of the perpetrators behind the heinous act,” the statement read.
The command added that it was collaborating with other security agencies to ensure the safe rescue and reunification of all abducted persons with their families.
According to the statement, members of the public were also urged to remain calm, law-abiding, and continue to cooperate with security agencies by providing credible and timely information capable of assisting ongoing investigations and rescue efforts.
Earlier on Saturday, May 16, AfrikTimes reported that the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Disu, visited Oriire Local Government to sympathise with the families of those killed in the attack and assured residents that security agencies were working round the clock to rescue the victims and apprehend the attackers.
Video:



